Pinch, Burn, Cut Parathyroid-sparing Thyroidectomy Saves Recurrent and Superior Laryngeal Nerves (Conventional, PBC and Harmonic Scalpel Techniques Compared)
G Raghavendra Prasad, JV Subba Rao, Mohammed Abdul Rahman Hameed
Citation Information :
Prasad GR, Rao JS, Hameed MA. Pinch, Burn, Cut Parathyroid-sparing Thyroidectomy Saves Recurrent and Superior Laryngeal Nerves (Conventional, PBC and Harmonic Scalpel Techniques Compared). Int J Phonosurg Laryngol 2015; 5 (2):48-52.
Copyright © 2015; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
Recurrent laryngeal nerve (RLN) and superior laryngeal nerve (SLN) have been and continue to be the Achilles tendon of thyroidectomy. Many anatomical landmarks described and taught.
How to cite this article
Prasad RG, Rao JVS, Hameed MAR. Pinch, Burn, Cut Parathyroid-sparing Thyroidectomy Saves Recurrent and Superior Laryngeal Nerves (Conventional, PBC and Harmonic Scalpel Techniques Compared). Int J Phonosurg Laryngol 2015;5(2):48-52.
- Risk factors target in patients with post-thyroidectomy bleeding. Int J Clin Exp Med 2014 Jul 15;7(7):1837-1844.
- Complications in surgical treatment of thyroid diseases. Otolaryngol Pol 2006;60(2): 165-170.
- Postoperative hematomas after thyroid surgery: incidence and risk factors in our experience. Ann Ital Chir 2010 Sep-Oct;81(5):343-347.
- Total thyroidectomy with LigaSure small jaw versus conventional thyroidectomy—a clinical study. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2014 Sep-Oct;109(5):608-612.
- Hemostasis in thyroid surgery: harmonic scalpel versus other techniques—a meta-analysis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010 Jul;143(1):17-25.
- Harmonic scalpel is more secure than conventional methods in total thyroidectomy: a randomized clinical trial. J Minim Invasive Surg Sci 2013;2(3):23-27.
- Prospective clinical trials of thyroidectomy with LigaSure vs conventional vessel ligation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Surg 2009 Dec;144(12):1167-1174.
- Importance of in situ preservation of parathyroid glands during total thyroidectomy. Br J Surg 2015;102(4):359-367.
- Total thyroidectomy: the technique of capsular dissection. Aust N ZJ Surg 1992 Feb;62(2):96-99.
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve injury and preservation in thyroidectomy. Saudi Med J 2005 Nov;26(11):1746-1749.
- Neurological complications in thyroid surgery: a surgical point of view on laryngeal nerves. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2014;5:108.
- Intraoperatvie nerve monitoring can reduce prevalence of recurrent laryngeal nerve injury in thyroid reoperations: results of a retrospective cohort study. World J Surg 2014 Mar;38(3):599-606.
- Importance of the intraoperative identification of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve during thyroidectomy: electromyographic evaluation. Thyroid 2005 May;15(5):449-454.
- Incidence of recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy with and without nerve identification during thyroid surgery. Internet J Surg 2008;20(1):1-4.
- Risk of postoperative hypocalcemia in patients underwent total thyroidectomy, subtotal thyroidectomy and lobectomy surgeries. Acta Medica Iranica 2014;52(3):206-209.
- The preoperative evaluation prevent the postoperative complications of thyroidectomy. Ann Med Surg (Lond) 2015 Mar;4(1):5-10.
- The use of the harmonic scalpel vs conventional knot tying for vessel ligation in thyroid surgery. Arch Surg 2002 Feb;137(2):137-142.
- Reoperative surgery for thyroid disease. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2007 Nov;392(6):685-691.